and Balsam Creek are the recognized names
of the communities that reside
on highway 63 and make
up most of the population that makes
up Phelps township. Phelps
township is a unincorporated township
within the Nipissing
Temiskaming electoral district.
In place of a mayor and municipal government
there are volunteer groups that organize
and coordinate activities. Public elections are
held yearly for the five main volunteer boards that
give governance. Police services are conducted for
the township by the Ontario provincial Police.
Five Publicly Elected Boards
in Redbridge Ontario P0H2A0
- Fire Hall
- Local Roads Board
- Local Service Board
- Recreation Council
Before 1892, Redbridge and this region was part of the electoral district of Renfrew North. It initially consisted of the temporary judicial district
of Nipissing, and the townships of Head, Clara and Maria in the county of Renfrew, and
a part of the district of Algoma. The area was redefined to consist of sixty four different townships and a broad swath of northeastern Ontario between Georgian Bay and Hudson Bay/James Bay. Included in this redefinition of the district area was the creation of Phelps Township.
1894, the Nipissing District consisted of Widdefield, Ferris, Bonfield, Phelps,
Mulock, Merrick and Blyth. Phelps Township is now one of the townships
that make up Nipissing District.
Nipissing was a federal electoral district that was represented in the
Canadian House of Commons from 1896 to 2004. It was located in the
northeastern part of Ontario, Canada. When it was first created, the
riding took in the eastern half of Northeastern Ontario, including the
towns of North Bay and Sudbury.